Dr Balamugesh T
Dr Balamugesh T
MD., DM (Pulm. & Crit. Care)., FCCP (USA).,
Professor, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Christian Medical College, Vellore
Clinical Epidemiology and Radiology Chair , RePORT consortium – Indo-US collaboration for TB Research
- Clinical Epidemiology Chair; Radiology Lead – Created scanning modules for trained and certified (2015 onwards)
- QC Reviewer of Radiographs of Uploaded X-rays for RePORT Consortium (2016 onwards)
- FCCP (Fellow of American College of Chest Physicians) – Jan 2008
- DM (Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine)
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India, June 2003
- MD (Internal Medicine)
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India, December 1999
Government Medical College, Trivandrum, University of Kerala, Kerala, India, December 1996
- General Medical Council, London, UK. GMC Reference Number: 7050406. Year 2009-2011.
- Travancore-Cochin Medical Council, India.
- Tamil Nadu Medical Council, India
- Member of American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP). Member ID # 235897
- Life member of Christian Medical Association of India. Membership no. LIFE D19723.
- Life member of Indian Chest Society. No: L-1003.
- Life member of Indian Society of Study of Lung Cancer.
Dept. of Pulmonary Medicine
College and Hospital,
June 2011 till date
Basildon & Thurrock
July 2009 – June 2011
Dept. of Pulmonary Medicine
College and Hospital,
July 2007 – July 2009
Dept. of Pulmonary Medicine
College and Hospital,
July 2003 – July 2007
Dept. of Pulmonary Medicine
Post Graduate Institute
of Medical Education
July 2000 – June 2003
Dept. of Cardiology
College & Hospital,
Ludhiana, North India
February 2000 – June 2000
Dept. of Internal Medicine
Post Graduate Institute
of Medical Education
January 1997 – December 1999
- Indian Council for Medical Research award in recognition for significant contributions for biomedical research – “Smt. Kamal Satbir Award” for the year 2006.
- Best poster award in the category ‘Pleura & mediastinum’ during National Conference in Pulmonary diseases NAPCON 2007 held in Chandigarh, India, Nov 2007.
- Award for highest marks in Ophthalmology in the Final MBBS degree examinations of University of Kerala, 1995.
- Certificate of academic proficiency for being second in the batch that completed MBBS examinations in 1995.
- S. Saheer, Balamugesh Thangakunam, Devasahayam Jesudas Christopher, Biju George. Lenalidomideinduced diffuse alveolar hemorrhage. Lung India 2014;31:90-91. (I)
- Denkinger CM, Kalantri Y, Schumacher SG, Michael JS, Shankar D, Saxena A, Sriram N, Balamugesh T, Luo R, Pollock NR, Pai M, Christopher DJ. Challenges in the development of an immunochromatographic interferon-gamma test for diagnosis of pleural tuberculosis. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 23;8(12):e85447. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0085447. (I)
- Thomas RJ, Kisku SMC, Kishore R, Thangakunam B. Thoracoscopic H-Type Fistula Repair in a 10-Year-Old Child: Technical Points and Challenges. Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques and Part B: Videoscopy. September 2013, 23. (I)
- Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T. Tuberculosis risk in Health Care Workers. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2013;55:149-154. (I)
- Christopher DJ, Schumacher SG, Michael JS, Luo R, Balamugesh T, Duraikannan P, Pollock NR, Pai M, Denkinger CM. Performance of Xpert(R) MTB/RIF on pleural tissue for the diagnosis of pleural tuberculosis. Eur Respir J. 2013 Nov;42(5):1427-9.(I)
- Singh RK, Thangakunam B, Isaac BT, Gupta A. Disseminated solitary fibrous tumour of the lung and pleura. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Sep 18;2013. (I)
- Singh RK, Thangakunam Balamugesh, Isaac B, Christopher DJ. Cannonball shadow in the lungs and pulmonary embolism in a young man. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Jul 12;2013. (I)
- Singh RK, Christopher DJ, Isaac TJ, Jeyaraj V, Balamugesh Thangakunam, Jethwani D. Endobronchial rhinosporidiosis. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2013 Apr;20(2):164-6. (I)
- Ranjit Singh, Balamugesh T, Christopher DJ, “Electrocautery resection of Endobronchial Rhinosporidiosis” Journal of Bronchology & Interventional Pulmonology-LBR 200718, (I)
- Thomas R, , Christopher DJ, Thangakunam B, Samuel R. Tracheal schwannoma as a mimic of bronchial asthma.Singapore Medical Journal.2012; 53(5): e95-e96. (I)
- Mehta AA, Jose W, Balamugesh T., Christopher DJ, Right hilar mass with haemoptysis; An unusual presentation of uncommon disorder. Lung India 2011;28(4): 306-308 (I)
- N John, A Joshua Thangakunam B, Christopher DJ. Maximal oxygen consumption is lower for the healthy Indian population compared to Caucasian populations.” Journal of Cardioplumonary Rehabilitation and Prevention 2011;31:322–327. (I)
- Chandramohan A, Shyamkumar NK, Christopher DJ. Outcome of bronchial artery embolization in patients with life threatening hemoptysis due to tuberculosis and its sequelae. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2011 Jun 15. doi: 10.4261/1305-3825.DIR.3876-11.2. [Epub ahead of print] (I)
- Thomas R, Thangakunam B, Cherian R Gupta R, Christopher DJ. Cerebral air embolism complicating CT-guided trans-thoracic needle biopsy of the lung.Clin Respir J 2010:1-3. (I)
- Mehta AA, Gupta R, T Balamugesh, Christopher DJ. Chylous ascites and chylothorax:a case study. Libyan J Med 2010, 5: 5298. (I)
- Christopher DJ, Daley P, Armstrong L, James P, Gupta R, Premkumar B, Michael JS, Radha V, Zwerling A, Schiller I, Dendukuri N, Pai M. among young nursing trainees in South India. PLoS One. 2010 Apr 29;5(4):e10408.(I)
- Thangakunam B, Christopher DJ, James P, Gupta R. initial experience from a tertiary care hospital. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 010r;52(1):25-7. (I)
- Christopher D J, Nair S, Balamugesh T, Shyam kumar NK, Moses V, : Near fatal hemorrhage after bronchoscopic resection of carcinoid tumor- successfully managed by embolisation. Journal of Bronchology (I)
- Asmita A. Mehta, Wesley Jose, Balamugesh T, D. J. Christopher. Right hilar mass with hemoptysis: An unusual presentation of uncommon disorder. Lung India 2011;28:306-8.
- John N, Thangakunam Balamugesh, Devasahayam AJ, Peravali V, Christopher DJ. Maximal oxygen uptake is lower for a healthy Indian population compared to white populations. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2011 Sep-Oct;31(5):322-7.
- Christopher DJ, James P, Daley P, Armstrong L, Isaac BTJ, Balamugesh Thangakunam et al. (2011) High Annual Risk of Tuberculosis Infection among Nursing Students in South India:A Cohort Study. PLoS ONE 6(10): e26199. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0026199.
- James P, Gupta R, Christopher DJ, Thankagunam Balamugesh, Veeraraghavan B. MDR and XDR-TB among suspected drug resistant TB patients in a tertiary care hospital in India. Clin Respir J 2011; 5: 19-25.
- Thomas R, Thangakunam Balamugesh, Cherian R Gupta R and Christopher DJ. Cerebral air embolism complicating CT-guided trans-thoracic needle biopsy of the lung. Clin Respir J 2011; 5: e1–e3.
- Samuel J, Thangakunam Balamugesh. A young lady with vanishing lung shadows. Southwest J Pulm Crit Care 2011;2:40-5.
- Prince James, Richa Gupta, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T. Evaluation Of The Diagnostic Yield And Safety Of Closed Pleural Biopsy In The Diagnosis Of Pleural Effusion. Indian J Tuberc 2010; 57:19-24.
- Krishnappriya R, Gupta R, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T, James P. Bronchiolitis obliterans organising pneumonia in systemic lupus erythematosus with anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome–an unusual presentation. Clin Respir J. 2010 Apr;4(2):125-6.
- Balamugesh Thangakunam, Devasahayam J Christopher, Prince James and Richa Gupta. Semi-rigid Thoracoscopy: Initial Experience from A Tertiary Care Hospital. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2010;52:25-27.
- Mehta AA, Gupta R, Balamugesh T, Christopher DJ. Chylous ascites and chylothorax: a case study. Libyan J Med. 2010 Sep 7;5.
- Ramya I, Mathews KP, Pichamuthu K, Shyamkumar N K, Balamugesh T, Ramamani M, Surekha V, Mammen T. Endotracheal Tuberculous Stenosis: Ventilation Rescue and Bronchography Guided Stenting. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2010;52:55-58.
- Jeba J, George R, Thangakunam Balamugesh, Christopher D.J. Pain assessment and analgesic prescription for cancer patients in a medical ward: The influence of an educational intervention. Natl Med J India 2009;22:177-80.
- James P, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T, Gupta R. Death of a health care worker with nosocomial extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in India. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009 Jun;13(6):795-6.
- Balamugesh T, Felix HJ. Endobronchial ultrasound – A new innovation in bronchoscopy. Lung India 2009;26:17-21.
- Balamugesh Thangakunam, Christopher D.J, Kurian S, Thomas R, James P. Endogenous excess cortisol production and diabetes mellitus as predisposing factors for pulmonary cryptococoosis: A case report and literature review. Lung India 2008;25:155-57.
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T, Shah A. Clinico-pathologic study of pulmonary carcinoid tumours – A retrospective analysis and review of literature. Respir Med. 2008 Jul 7. [Epub ahead of print] .
- Rajesh T, Devasahayam CJ, Balamugesh T, Meera T, Prasad M. Rare Manifestation of Sarcoidosis as Endobronchial Mass. Journal of Bronchology. 15(1):44-45, January 2008
- Julie Hephzibah, Regi Oommen, Balamugesh & Joe Pradhip: Pulmonary Alveolar Microlithiasis Scintigraphic Features: The Internet Journal of Pulmonary Medicine. 2007; Volume 9, Number 1
- Thomas, Rajesh, Christopher Devasahayam J, Thangakunam Balamugesh, Gupta, Richa. Suture as an Endobronchial Foreign Body Causing Segmental Atelectasis After Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery: A Case Report. Journal of Bronchology. 14(4):281-283, October 2007
- Rajesh Thomas, Devasahayam J. Christopher, M.K. Lalitha, Promila Mohan Raj, Balamugesh Thagakunam, Prince James. Actinomyces odontolyticus as a rare cause of thoracoactinomycosis—A case report. Respiratory Medicine Extra. 2007;3:159-160.
- Balamugesh T. Palliative Care for COPD patients – A comment on article- Yohannes AM. Palliative care provision for patients with COPD. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2007;5:17. Available from URL: http://www.hqlo.com/content/5/1/17/comments. Accessed on 22nd May, 2007.
- Balamugesh T, Behera D. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis- An Update. J Assoc Physicians India 2007; 55:363-70.
- Balamugesh T, Christopher DJ, George Biju, Rajesh T. Strongyloidosis Hyperinfection in a neutropenic host diagnosed by bronchoalveolar lavage. Indian J Chest Dis Alled Sci 2007;49:37-39.
- Balamugesh T, Behera D, Bhatnagar A, Majumdar S. Inflammatory Cytokine Levels in Induced sputum and bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in pulmonary sarcoidosis. Indian J Chest Dis Alled Sci 2006;48177-181.
- Balamugesh.T. Plant-based formulation in COPD. (Letter to the editor). Respiratory Medicine 2006; 100:1294
- Rajesh Thomas, Devasahayam J. Christopher, Susy Kurien, Balamugesh Thangakunam, Prince James and Richa Gupta. Cryptococcal pleural effusion in acquired immune deficiency syndrome Diagnosis by closed pleural biopsy. Respiratory Medicine Extra 2006; 2(1):7-9.
- Behera D, Balamugesh T. Profile of treatment failure in tuberculosis- experience from a tertiary care hospital. Lung India 2006; 23:103-105
- James P, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T, Thomas R, Gupta R, Danda D. A case of Sjogren syndrome presented as interstitial pneumonia. Respiratory Medicine Extra 2006; 2(3):101-4.
- Richa G, Devasahayam C, Balamugesh T, Rajesh T, Rekha C. Pneumomediastinum An unusual complication of transbronchial lung biopsy. (Letter to the editor). Journal of Bronchology 2006; 3:172-173.
- Prince G, Devasahayam CJ, Balamugesh T, Rajesh T, Richa G. Multiple Foreign Body Aspiration and Bronchiectasis. Journal of Bronchology 2006; 13(4):218-220.
- Behera D, Balamugesh T. Indoor Air Pollution as a Risk Factor for Lung Cancer in Women. J Assoc Physicians India 2005;53:190-192.
- Behera D, Balamugesh T, Venkateswarlu D, Gupta A, Majumdar S. Serum Surfactant Protein-A Levels in Chronic Bronchitis and its relation to Smoking. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2005;47:13-17.
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T. Letter to Editor. On case report ‘Eosinophilic pericardial effusion in Churg-Strauss syndrome’ by Stollberger et al. Respir Med 2005;99(12):1618.
- Gupta D, Gupta S, Balamugesh T, Aggarwal AN, Das R. Circulating D-dimers as a Marker of Disease Activity in Pulmonary Sarcoidosis. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2005;47:175-179.
- Balamugesh T, Ashutosh A, Gupta D, Behera D, Jindal SK. Profile of repeat fiberoptic bronchoscopic procedures. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2005;47:181-185.
- Balamugesh, T.; Jesudas, C.D.; Thomas, R.; Gupta, R. Empyema -A rare complication of tranbronchial lung biopsy. Respiratory Medicine Extra 2005; 1 (3): 97-99.
- Gupta D, Jain P, Balamugesh T, Arora SK, Wanchu A. Serum interleukin-2 and interleukin-4 levels in patients with sarcoidosis: influence of corticosteroid therapy. Lung India 2005;22:12-15.
- Rajesh Thomas, Devasahayam J. Christopher, Anil Roy and T. Balamugesh. Pulmonary mucormycosis presenting as endobronchial tumours case reports. Respiratory Medicine Extra 2005; 1(2): 27-30.
- Balamugesh T, Christopher DJ, Rajesh T, Prince J. Fibrinolysis of loculated pleural effusion in malignant mesothelioma. Singapore Med J. 2004;45:594-5.
- Behera D, Balamugesh T. Lung Cancer in India. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2004;46:269-281.
- Gupta D, Das K, Balamugesh T, Aggarwal AN, Jindal SK. Role of Socio-economic factors in tuberculosis prevalence. Indian J Tuberc 2004;51:27-31.
- Balamugesh.T, Kaur S, Majumdar S, Behera D. Surfactant protein-A levels in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Indian J Med Res 2003;117:129-133.
- Behera D and Balamugesh T. Domestic cooking and lung cancer in nonsmoking Indian women. (Abstract) Lung Cancer, Volume 41, Supplement 2, August 2003, Page S109.
- Digambar Behera, T. Balamugesh, A. N. Aggarwal, Dheeraj Gupta, Surinder Kumar Jindal and S. C. Sharma. Docetaxel and cisplatin chemotherapy in advanced NSCLC A follow-up study from India. Lung Cancer, (Abstract) Volume 41, Supplement 2, August 2003, Page S99.
- Krishnakumar N, Krishnakumar S, Dalus MR, Balamugesh T. Yellow phosphorous poisoning–smoking stool syndrome. J Assoc Physicians India. 1997 ;45(11):885-6.
- Co-investigator – Phase IV study of efficacy of levo-salbutamol in bronchial asthma. (Principal investigator – Dr. D.J.Christopher)
- Co-investigator – Phase II study of Tofimilast for stable asthma. (Principal investigator – Dr. D.J.Christopher)
- Co-investigator – Phase III study of UK 396003 for pulmonary hypertension due to COPD. (Principal investigator – Dr. D.J.Christopher)
- Co-investigator – Phase III study of Salmeterol HFA in bronchial asthma. (Principal investigator – Dr. D.J.Christopher)
- Co-investigator – Phase III study of Deflazacort in OPD exacerbation of bronchial asthma. (Principal investigator – Dr. D.J.Christopher)
- Co-investigator – Phase II study of Inhaled insulin for diabetic patients with asthma or COPD. (Principal investigator – Dr. D.J.Christopher)
- Prospective evaluation of algorithmic approach to diagnosis of lung cancer
- Prospective study on serum procalcitonin level as prognostic factor in community acquired pneumonia
- Presented EBUS audit in Essex Cardiothoracic Centre surgical clinical audit/training day on 13th April 2011.
- Talk on EBUS in Essex Cancer Network Lung Cancer Audit held on 4th March 2011.
- Author of abstract entitled ‘The case of the vanishing lung shadows’ accepted for oral presentation at the Great Cases Conference of the International Conference of the American Thoracic Society, May 2010.
- Co-author of abstract entitled ‘Cardiopulmonary exercise testing (CPET) in unexplained breathlessness – experience from a UK Hospital’ accepted for poster presentation at the International Conference of the American Thoracic Society, New Orleans, May 2010.
- Talk on ‘CPEX – case scenarios’ in Speciality Registrar’s training day on 16th March, 2010, Basildon Hospital, United Kingdom.
- Poster presentation on “Semi-rigid thoracoscopy – The future is bright” in National Conference on Pulmonary Diseases, NAPCON –2007, November 2007 held at Chandigarh, India.
- Lecture on “Evidence based practice – HIV and TB co-infection” in National Conference on Pulmonary Diseases, NAPCON –2007, November 2007, held at Chandigarh, India.
- Lecture on “Overview of COPD” in Update on COPD, CME Programme on COPD on 17th November 2007 in connection with World COPD day.
- Lecture on “Introduction and diagnosis of COPD” during ‘Evidence Translated into Practice’ meeting for local physicians on 28th October 2007 at Yelagiri, India.
- Lecture on “Pharmacological management of bronchial asthma and case scenarios” during Update in Pulmonary Medicine, as part of CME programme on 28th April 2007, Vellore, India.
- Lecture on “Diagnosis of COPD” in the COPD Workshop held on 15th April 2007 at Chittor, India.
- Lecture on “Aerosol therapy in respiratory diseases” in the RESCARE 2007 conference, held at Sri Ramachandra University, on 10th March 2007 at Chennai, India.
- Lecture on “Lung Cancer and other smoking related malignancies” in Update on Smoking and Lung diseases, on 9th December 2006 at Vellore, India.
- Lecture on “Mechanical ventilation in special situations” during Second CME and workshop on Fundamentals of Critical Care, from 2nd to 4th November 2006 at Vellore, India.
- Guest lecture on “Newer treatment options and update in the management of Asthma” on May 7th 2006 in CME programme of Indian Medical Association, Gudiyatham Branch, India.
- Guest Lecture on Community Acquired Pneumonia- an update, CME programe of Indian Medical Association, Ranipet Branch, 23th January 2006 at Ranipet, India.
- Poster presentation on “Role of bronchoscopy in diagnosis of sputum-negative pulmonary tuberculosis” in National Conference of Pulmonary diseases, 16th to 20th November 2005, Kokotta, India.
- Update in COPD- An algorithm for the management of COPD CME held on 26th February 2005, in Christian Medical College, Vellore, India.
- Guest lecture on ‘Pediatric influences of adult lung diseases’ at the Indian Academy of Pediatrics- Chennai City Branch, Children s Hospital, Egmore, Chennai, India in August 2004.
- Guest lecture on Immunological basis of Allergy. -1st National CME on Childhood Allergies held at Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute at Chennai, India on 5th December 2004.
- Poster presentation on “Profile of repeat fiberoptic bronchoscopy in National conference of Pulmonary diseases”, Coimbatore, India 2003.
- Poster presentation on “Analysis of repeat fiberoptic bronchoscopic procedure” at an International conference on bronchology and respiratory diseases, Hyderabad, India in February 2002.
- National Conference on Pulmonary diseases NAPCON 2011, held at New Delhi, India, November 2011.
- National Conference on Pulmonary diseases NAPCON 2007, held at Chandigarh, India, November 2007.
- Third CME on Fundamental of Critical Care, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, India, November 2007.
- Second National Conference on Respiratory Care, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, India, March 2007.
- Second CME on Fundamentals of Critical Care, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, India, November 2006.
- Participated as Chairman of Scientific committee: First National Conference on Respiratory Care at Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, India on 15th and 16th August 2006.
- First National CME on Childhood Allergies held at Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute at Chennai, India on 5th December 2004.
- Attended two day international conference on “TB diagnostics-from importation to imitation to innovation” in Bangalore on 25th, 26th August 2011.
- Attended one day EUS curriculum development workshop on 17th August, 2011, CMC Hospital, Vellore, India.
- Attended three day National Advanced Communication skills training course (12-14th Jan 2011, Basildon, Essex, UK)
- Attended 5 day Leadership and Management workshop (endorsed by the Institute of Leadership & Management) by MIADS, Dec 2010.
- 9th Advanced Techniques in Bronchoscopy programme. National Heart & Lung Institute, Imperial College, London. 26, 27, January 2010.
- British Thoracic Society, Winter meeting December 2009. London.
- European Respiratory Society 17th Annual Congress, held at Stockholm, Sweden, Sep 15-19th, 2007.
- 4th UK Thoracoscopy and Pleural Disease Course held at Kings Mill Hospital, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK, 8-9th Feb 2007.