DJ Career Interests
Devasahayam Jesudas Christopher
TN Regn. No. : 42203
- BSc in Chemistry from the Madurai Kamaraj University, India (May 1980)
- MBBS from The Christian Medical College, Vellore India (Aug 1986)
- DTCD (Diploma course in Chest Diseases & Tuberculosis) at the Madras Medical College, affiliated to the Dr. MGR Medical University Madras, India (Apr 1992)
- Dip NB (Diplomate of The National Boarding Respiratory Diseases) by the National Board of examinations, New-Delhi, India (Nov.1992)
- FCCP (Fellow of the College of Chest Physicians) by the American College of Chest Physicians, USA (Jun ’99)
- Advanced training in Respiratory Medicine, University of Adelaide, South Australia. (Jan.2000)
- FRCP (Fellow Of the Royal College of Physicians) by the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons, Glasgow, UK (July, 2007)
- Associate Director (HR), The Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore, India
- Professor and head of the department of Pulmonary Medicine, The Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore, India
- Course Director, Diploma in Allergy and Asthma Distance Education Program
- Vice-President (and co-founder) of the Indian Association of Respiratory Care.
Training and Academic positions held (within India):
- Resident internship in Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore, India Oct 1985 – Sept 1986 (1 year)
- Resident in the department of Internal Medicine St. Martin’s Hospital, Ramnad, India 1986 (3 months)
- Resident in the Department of Internal Medicine, under Prof KV Thiruvengadam MD, FRCP, FAMS at the CSI Kalyani General Hospital, Chennai, India (2 years)
- Senior resident in the department of Internal Medicine under Prof. KV Thiruvengadam, MD, FRCP, FAMS and Dr. Zaheer Ahmed Sayeed, MD, FRCP at The Southern Railway Head Quarters Hospital, Perambur, Chennai, India (6 months)
- Registrar in the Institute of Thoracic Medicine, affiliated to the Madras Medical College, Chennai, India (2 years)
- Senior Resident in the Department of Thoracic Medicine, under Dr. D. Ray, FRCP, FCCP at The Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore, India (6 months)
- Tutor in the Department of General & Pulmonary Medicine under Dr. AM Cherian, MD, FRACP ibid (6 months)
- Lecturer in the Department of General & Pulmonary Medicine under Dr. AM Cherian, MD, FRACP ibid.(4 years)
- Lecturer in Pulmonary Medicine under Dr. AM Cherian, MD, FRACP ibid. (6 months)
- Reader in Pulmonary medicine ibid (2 years)
- Associate Professor of Pulmonary Medicine ibid (2 years)
- Professor of Pulmonary Medicine ibid (From November 2001)
Training positions held (Overseas)
- Registrar in the Respiratory Medicine department, The University College London Hospitals (Middlesex Hospital), United Kingdom (6 months, 1997)
- Registrar and Advanced Trainee in Respiratory Medicine, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide, Australia (2 years, 1998-2000)
Academic positions held (Oversees)
- Lecturer in Medicine, The University of Adelaide, South Australia (1 year, 1999-2000)
- Fellow in Respiratory Medicine, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia (6 months, 2000)
Advanced Training Fellowships (overseas)
- In Therapeutic Bronchoscopy (laser bronchoscopy, airway stenting and brachytherapy) at the University College London Hospitals, United Kingdom ( 6 months, 1997)
- International travel fellowship of the American Association of Respiratory Care, Burlington, Vermont; Cleaveland, Ohio and San Antonio, Texas.in the United States of America (3 weeks, 2005)
- Pleural paracentesis and biopsy
- Intercostal tube insertion
- Diagnostic flexible bronchoscopy
- Bronchial wash/BAL
- Bronchial & transbronchial biopsy
- Transbronchial needle aspiration
- Foreign body removal
- Therapeutic bronchoscopy
- Argon Plasma coagulation
- Baloon bronchoplasty
- Stent insertion
- Rigid bronchoscopy
- Medical thoracoscopy
- Talc pleurodesis
- Intercostals tube
- Spiromenty & lung function testing – perform & report
- Polysomnography – report
- The American College of Chest Physicians
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- American Thoracic Society
- American College of Chest Physicians
- The European Respiratory Society
- American Association of Respiratory Care
- Indian Chest Society
- Indian Association of Respiratory Care
- Indian Medical Association
- National Academy of Allergy
- Awarded ‘Rising stars in global health care’ by Grand challenges, Canada & Gates foundation (2011)
- Best research poster presented, annual research day(2011)
- Dr OA Sharma oration award by the Indian Chest Society (2009)
- Admitted as a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow (2007)
- Listed in ‘Marquis Who’s Who in the world’ 2007 – 11 (5 years)
- Listed in Marquis ‘Who’s Who in medicine & healthcare’ 2008-11 (4 years)
- Awarded International travel Fellowship by the American Association of Respiratory Care (2005)
- Elected Fellow of the College of Chest Physicians by the American College of Chest Physicians, USA (1999)
- Awarded a Research-Training Fellowship by the Raj Nanda Pulmonary Disease Research Trust & The British Thoracic Society, for training in The United Kingdom (1997)
- Received a commendation for the quality of the paper presented at the 16th National Congress on Respiratory Diseases held at Bangalore, India in December 1996 for the free paper entitled “Talc Slurry VS Tetracycline for the pleurodesis of malignant pleural effusion”
- Won the “Best paper” award in the Award Session of the 13th National Congress on Respiratory Diseases held at Madras, Southern India in January 1994 for the free paper entitled “Our experience with blind pleural biopsy using a Tru-cut Needle”
Pioneered the development of the department of pulmonary medicine, CMC, Vellore.
- The department of pulmonary medicine dedicated in 2000
- Pulmonary function testing – spirometry 2000
- Diagnostic bronchoscopy service 2001
- Pulmonary function testing – lung volumes & diffusing capacity 2001
- Pulmonary function testing – respiratory drive 2003
- Advanced respiratory therapy; allied health science programme 2003
- Sleep lab set up– 2004
- Pulmonary function testing – Bronchoprovocation 2004
- Asthma clinic– 2004
- Diploma in allergy & asthma distance education programme – first training in allergy in India (endorsed by the American Association of Allergy, Asthma & immunology) 2006
- Diplomate of the national board in respiratory diseases(DNB) -2006
- Pulmonary function testing – cardiopulmonary exercise testing –2006
- Impulse oscillometry – 2006
- Medical thoracoscopy (first service in India) – 2007
- Therapeutic bronchoscopy – 2008
- DOTS clinic of CMC (took charge) – 2008
- Fellowship in Pulmonology (2010)
- Fellowship in Allergy & Immunology(2011)
- Doctor of Medicine(MD) – 2011
Research & Publication:
- Largest publication on risk of TB infection in healthcare workers in India
- First prediction equation described for the Indian population for ‘respiratory drive’
- First prediction equation described for the Indian population for ‘cardiopulmonary exercise testing’
- First prediction equation described for the Indian population for ‘6 minute walk test’
- One of the 2 comparative trials comparing Tru-cut and Abrams needle for pleural biopsy in the World
- First case series of medical thoracoscopy from India
- Largest case series on ‘bronchial carcinoids’ in south east Asia
Professional Societies & Extra-Institutional
- Conducted the first American College of Chest Physicians(Indian Chapter) congress on Interventional pulmonology (Jan 2011)
- Conducted the first conference on respiratory care in India (2006)
- Co-founder of the Indian association of respiratory care (2006)
Examinership & Credentialing
- Examiner (theory paper setter) Combined Entrance Test, Diplomate of National Board, India
- Examiner (theory paper setter), Final Examination in the specialty of Respiratory Diseases, Diplomate of the National Board, India
- Examiner (clinical Examination), Final Examination in the specialty of Respiratory Diseases, Diplomate of the National Board, India
- Examiner (clinical Examination), MD in Pulmonary Medicine, Govt Medical College, Trivandrum, University of Kerala
- Examiner (theory paper setter), Madras medical college, Chennai, Dr MGR medical university
- Inspector to medical institutions for suitability to conduct diplomate of the National Board in Respiratory diseases.
- Inspector to the Medical council of India for the assessment of medical colleges to conduct courses
Journal Editorial Boards & Reviewer
- Editorial board member
- ‘Lung India’
- ‘Indian Journal of Chest Diseases & Allied Sciences’
- Chest (India)
- ‘Chest’ the official journal of the American college of chest physicians
- ‘ Lung India’
- ‘Indian Journal of Chest Diseases & Allied Sciences’
- ‘Indian Journal of Medical research’
- National Medical Journal of India
Journal Articles Published or Accepted For Publication
- A curious case of a low protein pleural effusion. Shakti Bal, Gupta R,, , Paul A, Thangakunam B, Christopher DJ. Accepted In Journal of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology
- Devasahayam Jesudas Christopher, Deepak Burad Respiratory Medicine Case Reports 17 (2016) 8e11 • Successful removal of self-expanding metallic stent after deployment for tubercular bronchostenosis Barney T J (Thomas Jesudason) Isaac1; Ashima Datey2, Devasahayam J (Jesudas) Christopher3 Indian journal of tuberculosis case report accepted not yet published
- Isaac BT, Thangakunam B, Cherian RA,Christopher DJ. The correlation of symptoms, pulmonary function tests and exercise testing with high-resolution computed tomography in patients with idiopathic interstitial pneumonia in a tertiary care hospital in South India. Lung India 2015;32:584-8
- Thangakunam B, Christopher DJ, Mathews V, Srivastava A. Mesenchymal stromal stem cell therapy in advanced interstitial lung disease – Anaphylaxis and short-term follow-up. Lung India. 2015 Sep-Oct;32(5):486-8.
- Jeba J, Isiah R, Subhashini J, Backianathan S, Thangakunam B, Christopher DJ. Radiation Pneumonitis After Conventional Radiotherapy For Breast Cancer: A Prospective Study. J ClinDiagn Res. 2015 Jul;9(7):XC01-XC05.
- Schumacher SG, Thangakunam B, DenkingerCM, Oliver AA, Shakti KB, Qin ZZ, Michael JS, Luo R, Pai M, Christopher DJ. Impact of point-of-care implementation of XpertÂ® MTB/RIF: product vs. process innovation. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2015 Sep;19(9):1084-90.
- Hamilton CD, Swaminathan S, Christopher DJ, Ellner J, Gupta A, Sterling TR, Rolla V, Srinivasan S, Karyana M, Siddiqui S, StoszekSK, Kim P. RePORT International: Advancing Tuberculosis Biomarker Research Through Global Collaboration. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Oct 15;61Suppl 3:S155-9.
- S. Saheer, Balamugesh Thangakunam, Devasahayam Jesudas Christopher, Biju George. Lenalidomideinduced diffuse alveolar hemorrhage. Lung India 2014;31:90-91. (I) (Nat Ind)
- Denkinger CM, Kalantri Y, Schumacher SG, Michael JS, Shankar D, Saxena A, Sriram N, Balamugesh T, Luo R, Pollock NR, Pai M, Christopher DJ. Challenges in the development of an immunochromatographic interferon-gamma test for diagnosis of pleural tuberculosis. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 23;8(12):e85447. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0085447. (I) (Int.Ind)
- Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T. Tuberculosis risk in Health Care Workers. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2013;55:149-154. (I) (Nat Ind)
- Christopher DJ, Schumacher SG, Michael JS, Luo R, Balamugesh T, Duraikannan P, Pollock NR, Pai M, Denkinger CM. Performance of Xpert(R) MTB/RIF on pleural tissue for the diagnosis of pleural tuberculosis. Eur Respir J. 2013 Nov;42(5):1427-9.(Nat Ind)
- Singh RK, Thangakunam Balamugesh, Isaac B, Christopher DJ. Cannonball shadow in the lungs and pulmonary embolism in a young man. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Jul 12;2013. (I)( INT, IND)
- Singh RK, Christopher DJ, Isaac TJ, Jeyaraj V, Balamugesh Thangakunam, Jethwani D. Endobronchial rhinosporidiosis. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2013 Apr;20(2):164-6. (INT. IND)
- Ranjit Singh, Balamugesh T, Christopher DJ, “Electrocautery resection of Endobronchial Rhinosporidiosis” Journal of Bronchology & Interventional Pulmonology-LBR 200718, (I) (INT. IND)
- Chocko BR, Irodi A, Isaac B, Jesudosan T, Christopher DJ “Unusual mediastinal cystic lesions with air fluid level”. Tropical doctor. Aug 2012. Doi : 10 1258 td 2012 120193 (NAT. IND)
- Nambiar A, Christopher DJ, Mammen J, David T, Kang G, David S. Informed consent among nursing students participating in biomedical research. Indian Journal of Medical Ethics. 2012; IX(3):186-9. (nat, ind)
- , , , , . Correlation of health-related quality of life with other disease severity indices in Indian chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients. 2012;7:291-6. Epub 2012 May 1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22615528 (Int.Ind)
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ, Thangakunam B,Samuel R, Tracheal schwannoma as a mimic of bronchial asthma. Singapore Med J 2012; 53(5): e95–e96. (INT. IND)
- Thomas R, Christopher D J, Balamugesh T, Thomas M. Endobronchial pulmonary cryptococcosis and tuberculosis in an immunocompetent host. Singapore Med J 2012; 53(2): e32–e34. http://smj.sma.org.sg/5302/5302cr3.pdf (accepted).(Int. Ind)
- Thomas R, , Christopher DJ, Thangakunam B, Samuel R. Tracheal schwannoma as a mimic of bronchial asthma.Singapore Medical Journal.2012; 53(5): e95-e96. (Int.Ind)
- James P, Gupta R, Christopher DJ, Thankagunam B and Veeraraghavan B. MDR and XDR-TB among suspected drug resistant TB patients in a tertiary care hospital in India. Clin Respir J 2011; 5: 19-25 ( INT. IND. )
- Mehta AA, Jose W, Balamugesh T., Christopher DJ, Right hilar mass with haemoptysis; An unusual presentation of uncommon disorder. Lung India 2011;28(4): 306-308 NAT. IND
- Christopher DJ, James P, Daley P, Armstrong L, Isaac BT, Thangakunam B, Premkumar B, Zwerling A, Pai M. India: A Cohort Study. PLoS One. 2011;6(10):e26199. Epub 2011 Oct 12 ( INT. IND)
- Pai M, Christopher D J. Protecting young healthcare trainees from tuberculosis: Can we overcome apathy? The National Medical Journal of India 2011; 24(4): 198-200. (nat ind)
- Mehta AA, Jose W, Thangakunam B, Christopher DJ. Right hilar mass with hemoptysis: An unusual presentation of uncommon disorder. Lung India 2011;28:306-8.(Nat.Index)
- N John, A Joshua Thangakunam B, Christopher DJ. Maximal oxygen consumption is lower for the healthy Indian population compared to Caucasian populations.” Journal of Cardioplumonary Rehabilitation and Prevention 2011;31:322–327. (INT. IND)
- Chandramohan A, Shyamkumar NK, Christopher DJ. Outcome of bronchial artery embolization in patients with life threatening hemoptysis due to tuberculosis and its sequelae. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2011 Jun 15. doi: 10.4261/1305-3825.DIR.3876-11.2. [Epub ahead of print] (INT. IND)
- Thomas R, Thangakunam B, Cherian R Gupta R, Christopher DJ. Cerebral air embolism complicating CT-guided trans-thoracic needle biopsy of the lung. Clin Respir J 2010: 1-3. . (INT. IND)
- Mehta AA, Gupta R, T Balamugesh, Christopher DJ. Chylous ascites and chylothorax: a.a case study. Libyan J Med 2010, 5: 5298. (INT. IND)
- Christopher DJ, Daley P, Armstrong L, James P, Gupta R, Premkumar B, Michael JS, Radha V, Zwerling A, Schiller I, Dendukuri N, Pai M. in South India. PLoS One. 2010 Apr 29;5(4):e10408. (INT. IND)
- Thangakunam B, Christopher DJ, James P, Gupta R. from a tertiary care hospital. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2010r;52(1):25-7. (NAT, IND).
- Christopher D J, Nair S, Balamugesh T, Shyam kumar NK, Moses V, : Near fatal hemorrhage after bronchoscopic resection of carcinoid tumor- successfully managed by embolisation. Journal of Bronchology (INT. IND)
- Krishnappriya R, Gupta R, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T, James P. organising pneumonia in systemic lupus erythematosus with anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome–an unusual presentation. Clin Respir J. 2010 Apr;4(2):125-6 (INT. IND)
- Prince James, Richa Gupta, Devasahayam Jesudas Christopher, Balamugesh Thankagunam and Balaji Veeraraghavan “MDR- and XDR-TB among suspected drug-resistant TB patients in a tertiary care hospital in India”. Clin Respir J. 2010 Jan; 5(1):19-25 (INT. IND)
- Prince James, Richa Gupta, DJ Christopher and T Balamugesh “Evaluation of the diagnostic yield and safety of closed pleural biopsy in the diagnosis of pleural effusion” Indian Journal of Tuberculosis Accepted after revision on 16.11.2009 (NAT. IND)
- Jenifer Jeba, Reena George, Balamugesh Thangakunam, DJ Christopher “Pain assessment and analgesic prescription for cancer patients in a medical ward: The influence of an educational intervention”. The National Medical Journal of India Vol. 22, No. 4, 2009 (NAT, IND)
- , , , . “Death of a health care worker with nosocomial extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in India”. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009 Jun;13(6):795-6.( INT, IND.)
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T., Shah A, “Clinico-pathologic study of pulmonary carcinoid tumours – A retrospective analysis and review of literature” Respir Med. 2008 Jul 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jeba J, John S, Backiyanathan S, Christopher DJ, Kurian S, “Inflammatory pseudotumour of the lung with sarcomatous brain metastasis” European Journal of cancer care, (Oct 2008) (Int, Ind)
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T., Thomas M, Mathew P, “Rare manifestation of sarcoidosis as Endobronchial mass” Journal Of Bronchology. 2008, 15(1): 44-45. (Int, IND)
- Thangakunam B, Christopher DJ, Kurian S, Thomas R, James P. Endogenous excess cortisol production and diabetes mellitus as predisposing factors for pulmonary cryptococcosis. A case report and literature review. Lung india 2008;155-57 (NAT, IND.)
- Pai M, Mohan A, Dheda K, Leung CC, Yew WW, Christopher DJ and Sharma SK, “Lethal interaction: the colliding epidemics of tobacco and tuberculosis” Expert Rev. Anti Infect. Ther 5(3), 385-391 (2007), 385-391. (Int, ind)
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ, Lalitha MK, Mohan Raj Promila, Balamugesh T, James P, “Actinomyces odontolyticus as a rare cause of thoracoactinomycosis – A case report”: Respiratory Medicine Extra (2007) 3, 159-160. (IINT, IND)
- Balamugesh.T.,Christopher DJ, George B, Thomas R. Strongyloidosis hyperinfection in a Neutropenic host diagnosed by bronchoalveolar lavage: The Indian Journal of Chest Diseases & Allied Sciences 2007; 49: 37-39. (NAT, IND)
- Thomas, Rajesh, Christopher Devasahayam J, Thangakunam Balamugesh, Gupta, Richa. Suture as an Endobronchial Foreign Body Causing Segmental Atelectasis After Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery: A Case Report. Journal of Bronchology. 14(4):281-283, October 2007 (INT, IND)
- Thomas R; Christopher DJ, Thangakunam B; Gupta, R; Jacob M. Churg-Strauss Syndrome with Neutrophilic Vasculitis An Overlap Syndrome or a Different Disease Entity? Respirology (INT, IND)
- James P, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T, Thomas R, Gupta R, Danda D, A case of Sjogren syndrome presenting as interstitial pneumonia. Respiratory Medicine Extra, Vol 2(3) 2006, Pages 101-104 (INT, IND)
- Gupta. R, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T; Thomas R; Cherian R. Pneumomediastinum-An unusual complication of Transbronchial Lung Biopsy. Journal of Bronchology. 2006, 13(3):172-173 (INT, IND)
- Prince G, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T, Rajesh T, Richa G. Multiple Foreign Body Aspiration and Bronchiectasis. Journal of Bronchology 2006; 13(4):218-220. (INT. IND)
- Ayyappan AP, Thomas R, Kurian S, Christopher DJ, Cherian R. immunocompromised host with rheumatoid arthritis-related interstitial lung disease: an unusual expression of cytomegalovirus pneumonitis. Br J Radiol. 2006, 79(947):174-6. (Int, ind)
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ, Chacko J, Ponnaiya J. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformation in a patient with tuberculosis – an association? European journal of cardio-thoracic surgery 2006,30: 405-407.
- Rajesh Thomas, Devasahayam J. Christopher, Susy Kurien, Balamugesh Thangakunam, Prince James and Richa Gupta. Cryptococcal pleural effusion in acquired immune deficiency syndrome Diagnosis by closed pleural biopsy. Respiratory Medicine Extra 2006; 2(1):7-9.(INT, IND)
- Pandiyan MS, Kavunkat AM, Cherian VK, Christopher DJ. Chest wall mass with double pathology European Journal Cardio-thoracic surgery 2006, 29: 625-626 (int,ind)
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ, Madan A. “Wegener’s granulomatosis presenting as multiple staphylococcal lung abscesses” Respiratory Medicine Extra 2005; 1(3): 43-46 (nat, ind)
- Balamugesh T, Christopher DJ, Thomas R, Gupta R. Empyema-a rare complication of tranbronchial lung biopsy. Respiratory Medicine Extra 2005; 1: 97-99 ( INT, IND)
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ Balamugesh T, Roy A. “Pulmonary Mucormycosis Presenting as Endobronchial Tumours” Respiratory Medicine Extra 2005; 1(2): 27-30 (INT, IND)
- Balamugesh.T, Christopher DJ, Thomas Rajesh, Gupta Richa, “Empyema – a rare complication of transbronchial lung biopsy” Respiratory Medicine Extra 2005; 1(3):97-99 (INT, IND)
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ, Roy A, Rose A, Chandy ST , Cherian RA, Rima Jeeva. Chylothorax following innominate vein thrombosis – A rare complication of transvenous pacemaker implantation. Respiration. 2005;72: 546-54 (INT, IND)
- Thomas R, Christopher DJ, Balamugesh T. pericardial effusion in Churg-Strauss syndrome’ by Stollberger et al. Respir Med. 2005 Dec;99(12):1618; author reply 1619. Epub 2005 Jun 6. (INT, IND)
- Balamugesh T, Christopher DJ, Rajesh T, Prince J. Fibrinolysis of loculated pleural effusion in malignant mesothelioma. Singapore Med. J. 2004; 45(12): 594-5 (INT, IND)
- Balamugesh T, Christopher DJ. Pain management in lung cancer patients – editorial. Chest (Indian edition). 2004; 4:125-6 (Nat, ind)
- Subash HS, Christopher DJ, Roy A, Cherian AM. Pulmonary Nocardiosis in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection – A tuberculosis mimic. Journal of Post Graduate Medicine 2002; 47 (1): 30-3 (nat, non ind)
- Khan S, Roy A, Christopher DJ, Cherian AM. Prevalence of bronchial asthma: among bank employees of Vellore using questionnaire based data. JIMA. 2002; 100; 643 (Nat, Ind)
- Tsirgiotis E, Ruffin R, Southcott AM, Smith B, Christopher DJ, Homan S, Wilson D, Chittleborough C. Validation of the Selim Chronic Lung Disease Questionnaire with objective measurement. Respirology. 2000; 5: 112 (Int, Ind)
- Ruffin RE, Wilson DH, Chittleborough CR, Southcott AM, Smith B, Christopher DJ, Multiple respiratory symptoms predict quality of life in chronic lung disease: A Population based study of Australian adults; Quality of Life Research 2000; 9:1031-1039 (Int.Ind)
- Christopher DJ, Smith B, Wilson D, Southcott AM, Ruffin R. Health Service Utilisation and Activity Limitation in Asthmatics from A South Australian Population. Respirology 2000; 5:16 (Int.Ind)
- Christopher DJ, Peter JV, Cherian AM. Blind pleural biopsy using a Trucut needle in moderate to large pleural effusion – an experience. Singapore Medical Journal 1998; 39(5):196-199 (Int.Ind)
- Christopher DJ, Chacko RT, Srivastava V. Comparative trial of Tru-cut biopsy needle VS Abrams punch for pleural biopsy. Thorax 1997; 52(suppl 6): A66 (Int.Ind)
- Christopher DJ, Seshadri MS, Cherian AM, Ramakrishna B. Wegener’s Granulomatosis – Two cases presenting with solitary pulmonary nodule. Lung India 1995; (8):14145 (Nat.Ind)
- Thomas RV, Christopher DJ, Nair S, Seshadri MS, Cherian AM. Behcet’s Diseases A case report. JIMA 1995; 93(4):15152. (Nat.Ind)
- Ray D, Christopher DJ. Nocardia Empyema-A case report; Lung India 1994; 12: 195-7 (Nat,Ind)
- Ray D, Christopher DJ, Jairaj PS. Giant Emphysematous Bullae of the Lung. Ind J Chest Dis Allied Sci 1992; 34 (3):219223. (Nat.Ind)
- Christopher DJ, Kapoor M, Thiruvengadam KV. Chronic Obstructive airways diseases. The Antiseptic 1988; Supl:923. (Nat.Non ind)
- Monica, Christopher DJ, Thiruvengadam KV. Medical Treatment of peptic ulcer – an overview. The Antiseptic 1988 :19. (Nat.nonind)
- Christopher DJ, Thiruvengadam KV. Management of Insulin resistance. The Antiseptic Correspondence) 1987: 6978. (Nat.nonind)
- Christopher DJ, Thiruvengadam KV. Difference between IM and IV Injections. The Antiseptic (Correspondence) 1987:6323. (Nat.nonind)
- Christopher DJ, Thiruvengadam KV. Allergic reactions to Oxytetracycline. The Antiseptic (Correspondence) 1987:631. (Nat.nonind)
- Christopher DJ, Thiruvengadam KV. Arcus Juveniles. The Anti-septic (Correspondence) 1987:632. (Nat.nonind)
- Thomas Jayakar, Christopher DJ. AIDS. The Antiseptic (Correspondence) 1987: 36570. (Nat.nonind)
Chapter in Text books
- Christopher DJ (2010) ‘Empyema and parapneumonic effusion’. In ‘Handbook of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine’, ed. SK Jindal. Jay Pee Brothers (2011)
- Christopher DJ, Richa Gupta (2010) ‘Pulmonary thromboembolism’. In Handbook of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, ed. SK Jindal. Jay Pee Brothers (2011)
- Christopher DJ (2010) ‘Empyema and parapneumonic effusion’. In ‘Text book of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine’, ed. SK Jindal. Jay Pee Brothers (2010)
- Christopher DJ, Gupta R (2010) ‘Pulmonary thromboembolism’. In Text book of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, ed. SK Jindal. Jay Pee Brothers (2010)
- Christopher DJ (2002) “Consensus on Ambulatory Management of Asthma in Children”. In ‘Promoting childhood well being – Vellore Experiences’, ed MC Mathew
- Christopher DJ, Ruffin RE (2001) “Pulmonary Embolism”. In ‘Essential Guide to Geriatric Practice’, ed. R.N. Ratnaike. McGraw-hill
Publications in Journals Communicated (awaiting response)
- Abraham P, Christopher DJ,Viswanathan PN,Thomas K, Roul RK, Cherian AM. Tetracycline VS Talc slurry for the pleurodesis of malignant pleural effusion. EurRespir J.
Manuscripts Being Prepared For Journal Publication
- Comparative trial of Tru-cut biopsy needle VS Abrams punch for pleural biopsy.
- Portable peak flow meter for the screening of patients requiring spirometry.
- PEFR in the assessment of bronchodilator reversibility.
- Pleural mesothelial cyst masquerading as a massive pleural effusion.
- Health care utilization and activity limitation in asthmatics from A South Australian population.
- The effect of house dust mite control measures in the development of asthma in childhood.
Articles in CME Journals and Distance Education Material:
- “Diagnosis and management of Asthma in adults” Distance Educational booklet 2006.
- “Smoking and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease” CME News Bulletin Aug.2005 Vol.7,Numb 8, April 2006 Vol.8, Numb 2
- “Tiotropium Bromide in COPD” CME News Bulletin May 2005; Vol.7; 5 :13 Bronchodilators often are not useful in bronchiolitis, CME News Bulletin Nov 2004; V 6, Issue 11
- Christopher DJ, Shukla V. “Cancer of the lung” CME News Bulletin 2004:V; 96-102
- Christopher DJ. “Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome – The first Global Epidemic of the Third Millennium”. CME News Bulletin 2004;5:1-4
- Christopher DJ. “Avian Influenza”. CME News Bulletin. 2004;l6 (4):14
Expert Comments in Journals:
- Behavioural Asthma Management in Adults” CME News Bulletin 2006; vol.8, issue 1
- “Problem Solving in Asthma Management” CME News Bulletin 2006; Vol.8, Issue 3
- “Problem solving in asthma management” CME News bulletin 2006; Vol 8, Issue 2
- “Behavioral Asthma Management in Adults” CME News Bulletin 2006; Vol.8, Issue 1: 8-13
- “Some important facts about bird flu (Avian Influenza)” Indian Journal of Continuing Nursing Education; Vol.7, No.(1), January – June 2006
- “Zafirlukast treatment in patients with acute asthma” CME News Bulleting 2005; 7:11
- “Hypothalomo- pituitary- adrenal axis suppression” CME News Bulletin 2005;7:42
- “Azithromycin Vs. Levofloxacin for Acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis”, Current medical issues CME news bulletin. 2004;6: 16
- “Efficacy of Inhaled Fluticasone Plus Salmeterol in COPD”. Current Medical Issues, CME news bulletin. 2004; 6: 15
- “Bronchodilators often are not useful in bronchiolitis”. Current Medical Issues, CME News Bulletin. 2004; 6:11
- “Antibiotic Prescribing for Upper Respiratory Infections”. Current Medical Issues, CME news bulletin. 2004; 6: 10
- “Goodpasture’s syndrome”. CME News Bulletin. 2003; 5 (10): 18
- “Hypertonic Saline Solution eases Symptoms of Bronchiolitis”. Current medical issues, CME news bulletin; 2003: 5 (9): 14
- “Leukotriene Receptor Antagonists vs. Steroids”, CME News Bulletin. 2003; 5: 11
Completed Unpublished Research Projects
(as a principle investigator or co-investigator)
- Comparison of Abrams and Tru-cut biopsy needles for pleural biopsy.
- The role of induced sputum for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis.
- The prevalence of mycobacterium tuberculosis bacteraemia in HIV using Lysis centrifugation technique.
- Portable peak flow meter for screening patients requiring Spirometry.
- PEFR in the assessment of bronchodilator reversibility.
- Comparison of talc slurry & tetracycline for pleurodesis in malignant pleural effusion.
- High resolution CT in the diagnosis of bronchiectasis.
- Clinical profile of patients with bronchiectasis.
- Enzyme markers in tuberculous pleural effusion.
- IgA antibody levels to Kp – 90 tuberculo-protein in the assessment of activity in tuberculosis.
- Quality of Life of Australian patients with chronic lung disease
- Comparison of two dosage schedules of salbutamol & ipratropium bromide in acute severe asthma.
- Comparative trial of Sparfloxacin and Coamoxy-clav for empirical therapy of lower respiratory infections.
Completed Research Projects
Multicenter International and National Trials
(involvement as Principal investigator or Co-investigator)
- “An open label, non-comparative study to assess the efficacy, safety and acceptability of Salmeterol 50mcg+Fluticasone 250mcg (Seroflo 250)Multi-HalerTM in subjects with mild to moderate persistent asthma”
- “A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Six Week Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Tofimilast Dry Powder for Inhalation in Adults with Persistent Asthma”.
- “A multi centre, multinational, randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled, proof of concept trial to assess the effects of a subject-optimized dose of UK-369, 003 Modified Release on exercise capacity in subjects with pulmonary hypertension associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease”.
- A randomized, double blind, double-dummy, multicenter, parallel-group safety and efficacy study comparing salmeterol-HFA with salmeterol-CFC both delivered by pressurized metered dose inhaler (pMDI) in patients with chronic asthma
- “A Randomized, Double blind, Controlled, Parallel Group, Prospective study to Evaluate Safety and Efficacy of Levosalbutamol Vs.Racemic Salbutamol Delivered by Metered Dose Inhaler (MDI) In patients with Chronic Stable Bronchial Asthma”(2005)
- Azithromycin SR versus Levofloxacin for the Treatment of Mild to Moderate Community-Acquired Pneumonia in Adults” (2004).
- Seretide /Efficacy and safety of the salmeterol/ fluticasone combination VS both alone (1999-2000).
- Foradile 056/Two doses of formoterol in COPD – a placebo controlled trial (1999-2000)
- Efficacy, safety and tolerability of SB 207499 in patients with COPD (1999-2000)
- Tiotropium / A multiple dose comparison of Tiotropium inhalation capsules, Salmeterol inhalation aerosol and placebo in COPD (1999-2000)
- RhuMAb E25/ A randomized, double blind, parallel group, placebo controlled, multi-center trial of RhuMAb in severe allergic asthma (1999-2000)
- Ophelia/ Dose ranging effects of multiple doses of AR-C68397AA via turbuhaler in COPD (1999-2000)
- Nicorette gums/ Role of nicotine gum in smoking reduction (1999-2000)
Ongoing Research Projects
In CMC, Vellore
(involvement as principal or co-investigator)
- Prevalence of latent TB infection in allied health sciences trainees other than nurses.
- Validation of interferon-gamma assay for the diagnosis of tuberculosis infection in nursing trainees.
- To study the resistance pattern in tuberculosis disease in healthcare workers in CMC Hospital, Vellore
- Evaluation of efficacy and tolerability of deflazacort versus prednisolone in the treatment of out-patient exacerbation of bronchial asthma
- Systemic steroid sparing effect & Safety of Ciclesonide MDI in the out patient management of Asthma exacerbation –a double blind randomized control trial .
- Inhaled Fluticasone in acute severe asthma
- MB Bact culture of pleural fluid for the diagnosis of tuberculous pleural effusion
- TB PCR of pleural tissue and pleural fluid for the diagnosis of tuberculous pleural effusion
Ongoing Research Projects
Collaborative work with overseas centres
(involvement as principal or co-principal investigator)
- The role of brachytherapy following laser treatment in patients with malignant airway obstruction.
- Efficacy of nebulized bronchodilator following mouth and nasal inhalation in patients with obstructive airways disease.
- Comparison of lung deposition from two CFC-free salbutamol preparations.
- Correlation between airway caliber and lung deposition of salbutamol.
- Validation of Selim symptom questionnaire in COPD patients.
- The role of Selim questionnaire in the assessment of progress of disease in patients with chronic lung disease.
- Selim Questionnaire- does it predict future health care utilization.
Conference Presentations (spoken & posters) – National
- “The role of pleural fluid analysis in the differential diagnosis of malignant pleural effusion”. Free paper presentation at NAPCON 2001 held at Mumbai (Nov 2001)
- “Tangential Vs perpendicular approach for the biopsy of pleura using a Tru-cut biopsy needle”. Free paper at the National Conference on pulmonary Diseases (NAPCON 2000) held at Kanpur (Nov 2000).
- “Talc Slurry VS Tetracycline for the pleurodesis of malignant pleural effusion”. Free paper presentation at the 16th National Congress on Respiratory diseases held at Bangalore, India (Dec ‘96).
- “High resolution CT in the diagnosis of bronchiectasis”. Free paper presentation at the 51st National Conference of Chest Disease and Tuberculosis held at Bangalore, India (Nov ‘96).
- “Portable peak flow meter in the screening of patients requiring spirometry”. Free paper presentation at the 14th National Congress on Respiratory Diseases at pune, India (Dec ‘94).
- “The role of induced sputum in the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis”. Free paper presentation at the 49th National Conference of Chest Disease and Tuberculosis”, at Pondicherry, India (Dec ‘94).]
- “Blind pleural biopsy using a Tru-cut needle”. Free paper presentation at the 13th National Congress on Respiratory Diseases held at Madras, India. (Jan ‘94).
Conference Presentations (spoken & posters) – International
- “Prevalence of LTBI using IGRA and TST in a cohort of health professional trainees from India” –presentation as thematic poster at the ERS meeting 2011, at Amsterdam, Germany.
- “Serial testing using IGRAs in a cohort of Indian nursing students” – presentation as thematic poster at the ERS meeting 2011, at Amsterdam, Germany.
- “Concordance between IGRA and TST in a cohort of health professional trainees from India” – presentation as thematic poster at the ERS meeting 2011, at Amsterdam, Germany.
- “Prospective study of infectious bacterial etiology of acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in India –presented as poster at ERS meeting 2010, at Barcelona (coinvestigator)..
- “Concordance between QFT & TST in a cohort of Indian Nursing students”– presentation as E-communication at ERS meeting 2010, at Barcelona, 2010.
- “High annual risk of TST conversion in a cohort of Indian Nursing students” at ERS meeting 2010 at Barcelona, September 2010
- “Serial bronchoscopic lobar lavage – A new treatment for pulmonary alveolar proteinosis”– presentation as E-communication at ERS congress 2010 at Barcelona (co-investigator).
- “Serial testing for tuberculosis infection in a cohort of Indian nursing students: QFT conversions and reversions” presentation as E-communication at ERS congress 2010 at Barcelona.
- Participated and presented a paper ““Safety and efficacy of 4 months Rifampicin therapy (4R) for latent TB infection (LTBI) among nursing students in south India” at thematic poster session on 20 September 2010 at ERS congress Barcelona 2010.
- “Discordance between T-cell-based assay and tuberculin skin testing among nursing students in India” spoken presentation at the ERS meeting 4-8 Oct 2008, at Berlin, Germany.
- “Comparison of proficiency of pressurized metered dose inhaler (pMDI) use with asthma control” poster presentation at the ERS meeting 4-8 Oct 2008, at Berlin, Germany.
- Raval N., Mohankumar T., Bhagat R, Reddy R, Christopher DJ, Naik S., Po CJ, Purandare SM, Sule A, Gogtay A, “Non-inferiority comparison of slameterol HFA (SM-HFA) pMDI with salmeterol CFC (SM-CFC) pMDI in adolescents and adults with persistent asthma” Presented ERS meeting at Stockholm 2009).
- “Regression equations for six minute walk distance for six minute walk distance in healthy Indian adults” Poster presentation in ERS September 2007.
- “Prediction Equations for Maximal Respiratory Pressures in Indian Adults” poster at Chest 2006 held at Salt lake city, USA (Oct 2006)
- “Endobronchial mucormycosis” poster presentation at the International conference of bronchology and respiratory diseases (2002) held at Hyderabad, India.
- “Pulmonary Sarcoidosis and Extra pulmonary tuberculosis a rare combination – A Case Report” poster presentation at the Asia Pacific Conference on diseases (2001) held at Mumbai, India.
- “Health Service utilization and activity limitation in asthmatics from a South Australian population” poster presentation at the annual scientific meeting of the Thoracic Society of Australia & New Zealand (2000) held at Melbourne, Australia.
- “Quality of life in patients with chronic lung diseases in a South Australian population” poster presentation at the annual scientific meeting of the Thoracic Society of Australia & New Zealand held at Canberra, Australia (Feb ’99).
- “Comparative trial of Trucut biopsy needle VS Abrams punch for pleural biopsy” poster presentation at the British Thoracic Society Conference (1997) held at London, United Kingdom.
- “PEFR in the assessment of bronchodilator reversibility” poster presentation at World Conference on Cardio-pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine (1995) held at Bombay, India.
CMEs, Guest Lecture & Chairing Sessions (International)
- “Interventional Pulmonology session”; Chair. 3rd Annual conference of Chest Medicine, Singapore( Mar 2010).
- “Lung cancer: symposium” Chair at Impact 2010 at Singapore (March 2010)
- “Pulmonary Thromboembolism: controversies in diagnosis and management” lecture at “INSPIRE 08” 2nd Annual Conference in Chest Medicine, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Jan 08).
- ‘COPD session’ Chair.1st Annual Conference in Chest Medicine, Singapore (2007)
CMEs, Guest Lectures & Chairing Sessions (National) :
- “Medical thoracoscopy stretching the boundaries’ lecture at the National Conference of Chest physicians of India (Napcon), (Nov. 2011) held at Delhi.
- “Should latent TB be treated in India-No. Pro-con debate. at the National Conference of Chest physicians of India (Napcon), (Nov. 2011) held at Delhi.
- “Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in the prevention of Pneumonia” lecture at the National Conference of Chest physicians of India (Napcon), (Nov. 2011) held at Delhi.
- “Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in the prevention of Pneumonia” panelist in the panel discussion at the National Conference of Chest physicians of India (Napcon), (Nov. 2011) held at Delhi.
- “Dizzy Elderly” chaired session at the annual conference of the Indian Academy of Geriatrics (Nov 2011) at Vellore.
- “Pulmonary vascular diseases; Defn, classification, global & Indian scenario” South East Region Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute conference (Oct 2011) at Trivandrum.
- “Challenges in setting up a medical thoracoscopy service” lecture Workshop on inventional pulmonology (Sept 2011) held at Fortis hospital, Bangalore.
- “Ventilator Associated pneumonia” lecture at the CME on infections in the critical care unit (Aug 2011) at Courtyard Marriot, Chennai.
- “ CME on infections in the critical care unit” (Aug 2011) Chaired the programme and panel discussion at Courtyard Marriot, Chennai
- ‘Bronchoscopic treatments for lung cancer’ Assoc of Physicians of India CME (Apr 2011) at SP Grand days hotel, Trivandrum.
- ‘Principles of RNTCP’ lecture and chief guest at world TB day meeting of Dindigul district, held at the Christian Fellowship hospital, Oddanchatram (Apr 2011).
- ‘Basic concepts of bronchial asthma’ lecture at CMC conducted by the Assoc of Physicians of India at Batalagundu ( Apr 11)
- “Thoracoscopy: Should You Take A Rigid Stand?” – Pro-con debate: Flex–rigid VS Rigid thoracoscopy. Bronchocon Feb 2011, held at Chandigarh.
- “Interventional bronchoscopy session’ Chair at National congress on Interventional pulmonology, under the aegis of the National chapter of ACCP in Jan 2011 at Vellore.
- “ The next frontier for the medical thoracoscopist” lecture at the National congress on Interventional pulmonology, under the aegis of the National chapter of ACCP in Jan 2011 at Vellore.
- “The link between rhinitis, asthma and occupation” at Napcon 2010 held in November 2010 at Jodhpur.
- “Therapeutic bronchoscopy” Mid Respicon, Kollam, 24th October 2010.
- “COPD: Diagnostic Challenge” in Forum 2010, annual conference of the Sundaram Medical Foundation, Chennai, 10th October 2010.
- “Stability of asthma control and exacerbations” RISE, Hotel Taj Connemara, Chennai, 21st August 2010.
- “Current Perspectives in Asthma Management” at the launch meeting of ‘Formost’ held in Darling Residency, Vellore ( 27th June 2010)
- “Exploring the pleural space: opening windows” (Dr OA Sharma oration award) in the National Conference of Chest physicians of India (Napcon), held at Calicut (Nov. 2009)
- “Community acquired pneumonia: severity assessment” in the National Conference of Chest physicians of India (Napcon), held at Calicut (Nov. 2009)
- “An unusual transudative pleural effusion’ –Clinical pearls in pulmonary medicine. ” in the National Conference of Chest physicians of India (Napcon), held at Calicut (Nov. 2009)
- “Overview of medical treatment of COPD” by Apollo Hospital, Chennai at GRT hotel (August 2008)
- “Recent Updates on Bronchial Asthma” Respire 2008 at SPMM Hospital, Salem. (June 2008)
- “Risk of XDR Tuberculosis in Health Care Workers” in National Conference of Chest physicians of India (Napcon), held at Chandigarh (Nov. 2007)
- “Medical Thoracoscopy” in Lung congress 2007, held at GRT Convention centre, Chennai. (Aug.2007)
- Advanced Lung Function Tesing” at 3rd National conference of Respiratory Care (RESCARE) Manipal (Feb 2008)
- “Acute exacerbation of COPD “ 9th Annual conference of the society for emergency medicine (EMCON), at SRMC, Chennai (Nov 2007)
- “Controversies in use of LABA in asthma” First national update in Respiratory Medicine at Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai (Sep 2007).
- “An algorithm for the management of suspected Pulmonary Embolism” First national update in Respiratory Medicine at Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai (September 2007)
- “Protocol based respiratory care” at 2nd National conference of Respiratory care (RESCARE) held at Chennai( Mar 2007)
- “COPD-Early recognition and treatment” Annual conference of Western coal fields Ltd. at Singruli (Aug 2007)
- “ Obstructive sleep apnoea” Annual conference of Western coal fields Ltd. at Singruli (Aug 2007)
- “Recent controversies in the use of Long Acting Beta 2 agonists in Asthma”, IAACON-2007 (Jan 2007)
- “Asthma-Changing Scenario” at Hotel Srichakra International, Palakkad at CME held during 7th anniversary of Thangam Hospital (19th Nov. 2006)
- ”Pleural infections-clearing the cobwebs” lecture at Association of Physicians meeting Vadodara, (Sept 2006)
- “Pulmonary Embolism” lecture at Association of Physicians meeting, Vadodara, (Sept 2006)
- “Newer treatment options for Asthma Management” in the Scientific Program held at Hotel Avana Inn, Vellore(Apl 2006)
- “CFC free MDIs –Where do we stand? & Mucolytics in asthma” Natural Meeting of ICAAICON-2005 held at Jaipur (Oct 2005)
- “Asthma Management – An update” CME at IMA, Ranipet on 10th July 2005
- “COPD: overview” CME by the CME department of at held at CMC, Vellore (Mar 2005)
- “Incidence & Prophylaxis of Venous thromboembolism” Guest Lecture at NAPCON 2004 held at Ahmedabad (Nov.2004)
- “Tiotropium in the Management of COPD” CME at Avana Inn on 18 June 2004
- “An approach to the management of drug resistant tuberculosis” CME at Avana Inn on 25 Feb 2004
- “Is Pulmonary Embolism a rare disease in India?” a guest lecture at NAPCON 2003 held at Coimbatore (Nov.2003)“Clinical case presentation : A Case of multiple lung abscesses” at NAPCON 2003 held at Coimbatore (Nov.2003)
- “Inter costal tube drainage and Pleurodesis” on TNAI local unit meeting at College of nursing, CMC (Nov.2003)
- ‘Advances in asthma management at the turn of the new millennium’ under the scientific programme entitled “Advances in Respiratory Medicine” as part of the Scientific Session of 10th anniversary of the department of Pulmonology of Sri Ramakrishna Hospital 2003.
- “Will SARS become epidemic in India” Public meeting held at Darling Residency, Vellore, on 22nd June 2003.
- “Is DOTS a reasonable approach for the Management of Tuberculosis” Talk in CME program “An Update on Pulmonary Medicine”, CMC, Vellore (21st June 2003)
- “Diagnosis and Management of Pulmonary Embolism” Guest Lecture at “Pulmocon 2003” on 5th Annual conference of Academy of Pulmonary And Critical Care Medicine, Thrissur (18th May 2003)
- “SARS” CME conducted by CMC for the General Practitioners in Vellore District, Conducted by IMA in April 2003
- “What a Lay TB worker should know about TB – public meeting on the occasion of the World TB day celebrations”, CHAD hospital, Vellore. 22nd March 2003
- “An approach to the management of Tuberculosis Practical Therapy” Respiratory Medicine Update 2003, at T.Nagar, Chennai, on 12th of March 2003, sponsored by Messers Nicholas Piramal India Ltd.,
- “Transbronchial lung biopsy – an Indian Perspective” Talk at Napcon 2002 held at Jaipur (Nov.2002)
- “Leukotrine modifiers in Asthma management” CME Program by the Indian Medical Association on at Vellore (August .2002).
- “Pulmonary Embolism – diagnosis and management” guest lecture at Medicine Update 2002, organized by the Association of Physicians of India, Tiruchirappalli branch, Tiruchirappalli, India (Jul 2002).
- “Transbronchial lung biopsy” guest lecture at the International conference of bronchology and respiratory diseases held at Hyderabad, India (Feb 2002).
- “Management of adult and paediatric asthma” talk at the CME for the physicians and paediatricians of Vellore on (Dec 2001).
- “Geriatric respiratory diseases” talk at the Workshop on healthcare of the elderly held at the CHTC, Vellore (November 2001).
- “Management of community acquired pneumonia” talk at the CME for the physicians and GPs of Vellore (Nov 2001).
- “Management of asthma in general practice” talk at the CME for the physicians and GPs of Ranipet (Oct 2001).
- “Management of Adult and Paediatric Asthma” talk in the CME conducted by the Indian Medical Association, Thiruvannamalai branch (Oct 2001).
- “The rationale of observed, intermittent treatment of Pulmonary and Extra-pulmonary Tuberculosis” talk at Quality circle, CMC Vellore (Sep 2001).
- “Recent advances in adult and paediatric asthma” – talk at the CME “Respiratory Medicine” held at The Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore (Jun 2001).
- “Overview of pulmonary embolism” talk at the quality circle of the Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore (Apr 2001).
- “Current trends in the management of bronchial asthma” Paediatric CME Programme by Indian Academy of Paediatrics held at Cuddalore (Feb. 2001).
- “Asthma management – past, present and future”. The quality circle of the Christian Medical College and hospital (Dec 2000).
- “CFC free inhalers a new generation of MDIs” Guest Lecture at the National Conference on pulmonary Diseases (Napcon 2000) held at Kanpur. (Nov.2000)
- “Overview on the management of bronchial asthma” a talk at the CME programs for the private practitioners of the Ranipet – Arcot branch of the Indian Medical Association (Oct 2000)
- “Respiratory Emergencies” a talk at the workshop for Nurses of the State of Tamilnadu, on the role of a nurse in medical emergencies (Feb ‘97).
- “An update on the management of bronchial asthma” a talk at the CME program for the alumni of the Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore, India (Aug ‘96).
- “Management of acute severe asthma” a talk at the CME program for the private practitioners by the Indian Medical Association at The Christian Medical College & Hospital, India (July ‘95).
- “A case of fulminant gram negative pneumonia” discussed the case & the differential diagnoses at the Clinico-pathological Conference, at The Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore, India (June ‘94).
- “Anaerobic pleuropulmonary infections” talk at the workshop on Anaerobic Bacteriology held in the Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore, India (Dec 1993). “Recent trends in the management of Asthma” talk at the CME program for the alumni of the Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore, India (Aug 1993)
Workshops & Symposia Faculty or Participant (International & National)
- “Interventional Pulmonology workshop” demo of medical thoracoscopy at hands on workshop held at Fortis hospital, Bangalore.
- “ Thoracoscopy work shop” Performed live demo of flex-rigid thoracoscopy. Broncocon Feb 2011, held at Chandigarh.
- “ Interventional bronchoscopy workshop’ performed live demo at the National Congress on Interventional pulmonology, in Jan 2011 at Vellore.
- “ Medical thoracoscopy workshop’ performed live demo at National congress on Interventional pulmonology, in Jan 2011 at Vellore.
- ATND work shop on smoking cessation at Beijing.
- PFT workshop in Napcon 2009
- “Advanced PFT workshop” on 17th August 2008, Conference of the American College of Chest Physicians (Southern India chapter), Hyderabad.
- “Bronchoscopy workshop.” 18th August 2007, at Singrauli.
- “Overview of COPD problem” CME conducted by the Department of Pulmonary Medicine on 15th April 2007, Bans The Hotel.
- Symposium “Antibiotic treatment of pneumonia” 18-19th Feb, 2006 at Colombo, Srilanka
- International Fellowship of the American Association of Respiratory Care Nov 19-Dec 7, 2005, at Burlington, Vermont, Cleaveland, Ohio and San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- “Advanced leadership training” at the Haggai Institute, Hawaii, USA from 3rd October 2003 – 1st Nov.2003
- Symposium on “Bridging the Gap in asthma care” held at Bankok, Thailand (5th to 7th Sept. 2003)
- Symposium on “Recent advances in asthma” held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia ( Mar 02).
- Symposium on “Asthma Control into the 21st Century” by the Asia Asthma forum for asthma held at Bangkok, Thailand (Jun 01).
- Symposium on the implementation of RNTCP in the medical colleges, organized by the ministry of health at Bangalore on (Sept 01).
- ‘Workshop for protocol development on HIV and tuberculosis” Tuberculosis Research Centre, Chennai (Nov 2000)
- ‘National workshop on RNTCP’ for Medical College Faculty by Tuberculosis Research Centre at Chennai (Oct 2000)
1.“A practical approach to Pulmonary function tesing” Respiratory Update 2012, Goa (28th July 2012)
2.“Approach to the management of pleural diseases” Respiratory Update 2012, Goa (July 2012)
3.“PFT all aspects – Spirometry, ABG & Others” Pulmocon 2012 Apollo Hospital, Madurai (August
4.HOD core group meeting to plan on workshop to upgrade the practice and teaching of
respiratory medicine in the country” Chest Research Foundation’s Mumbai 28.8.2012 .
5.“Drug Resistance and Transmission” MDR, XDR and now TDR in India “
” at the Regional Fogarty TB Workshop to facilitate US-India collobrative research
on tuberculosis October 27-28, 2012 “
6. “Journey through the Tracheo-bronchial tree-using Flexible bronchoscopy” and” Medical
thoracoscopy” Amala Interventional Pulmonology congress (AIPC) 2013,
7.“Non-pharmacological management, Patient education, Prevention of
exacerbations, including vaccinations etc” Workshop for Updating the Indian
Guidelines for Diagnosis and Management of COPD, held on February 23-24, 2013, at the
Postgraduate Institute of Medical and Research, Chandigarh
8.“MDR, XDR, TDR TB: clearing the haze of terminologies and implications” TB in health care
workers –problems and precautions” State TB conference vadodara, March 2013,
9. “Diagnose, monitor and control asthma: Discussion on Spirometry”: Scientific discourse in Hotel
Accord Metropolitan, Chennai, 7th May 2013.
10.‘Welcome and Objectives of Asthma workshop”,”Asthma Pathogenesis”,”Misconception
about asthma”,”Spirometry – a valuable tool” the CME and workshop in Chennai on 26th
May 2013 titled “Fundamentals and update of bronchial asthma”. The target audience are
specialists respiratory and general physician and general practitioners.
12.Indian COPD guidelines committee: Chaired the section on “Non-pharmacological
management”, Patient education, Prevention of exacerbations, including vaccinations etc”
Workshop held on February 23-24, 2013, at the Postgraduate Institute of Medical and
13.“Indian pneumonia guidelines committee: Chaired the section “Etiology and diagnosis of
hospital acquired pneumonia” held on February 2012, at the Postgraduate Institute of Medical
and Research, Chandigarh
14.“Management of IPF” held on 20th September 2013, symposium on “A dialogue on IPF, going
deeper, branching wider” at Hotel Taj Canemara, Chennai.
15.“safety of two step tuberculin skin test in the screening (TST) of health care workers for latent TB
infection (LTBI) diagnosis and treatment at ERS Barcelona 2013 congress.Spain, 7th – 11th Sept.2013.
about asthma”,”Spirometry – a valuable tool” the CME and workshop in Madurai on 28th
December 2013 titled “Fundamentals and update of bronchial asthma”. The target audience are
specialists respiratory and general physician and general practitioners.
17.ICONIC 2014, Pune International conference on insights and management of COPD, on
February 1st and 2nd, 2014 at the Pune.
18.“Next frontier for Medical Thoracoscopy.” Held on 22nd February 2014, at Bronchocon 2014, held at Crowne
Plaza, Rohini, New Delhi. Hall – B.
19.“Expert Panel Review on IPF – the Meeting of Minds!” discussion on Idiopathic Pulmonary
Fibrosis (IPF) on 21st June, 2014 at Hotel Sahara Star, Mumbai
20. “Why and How to diagnose IPF early” CME on dialogue on IPF, @ ITC Grand Chola, Chennai on 12th
and 13th July 2014.
21.“Relevance of TST and IGRA in current day practice” in Ashraicon 2014, Ahemedabad, Gujarat
between 26th and 27th July 2014.
22. “Airway disease: onto the next level” National Allergy Asthma Bronchitis Institute
(NAABI), Kolkata!, on 16th and 17th August, 2014 at Rotary Sadan, 94/2, Jawaharlal
Nehru Road, Kolkata
23. “Newer Diagnostics in TB” in CME program for the PG students of southern state conducted by
Institute of Thoracic Medicine, MMC, Chennai between 12th and 13th September 2014.
24.“The challenges in treatment and management of ICU infections” in ICU pen CME, on 20th August
2011 @ Hotel Courtyard Marriot, Chennai.
25”Tuberculosis risk in health care workers & trainers”, BIT’s 1st annual world congress of
Microbes -2011.Beijing, China on 20th July 2011,
25. “The challenges in treatment and management of ICU infections” on 20th August 2011, @ Hotel
Courtyard Marriot, Chennai
Attended Synchrobreathe Meet Invite – Inhalation therapy is the cornerstone of pharmacotherapy in patients with asthma and COPD, on the 23rd of September, at Hotel Sahara Star, Mumbai,